Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Views: the 'welfare' system

I've been thinking about this over the last few days, and now, I'm going to share it with those who choose to read this blog.

Why are we paying people to not work?

Seriously, dude, why should you get a check (along with food, shelter and utilities) if you are not willing to work for it. I do understand that some people are unable to work (the disabled), but if you are able to work and still living off the state, something is wrong with you.

Oh, and to clarify, I'm not talking about those living off of unemployment insurance either. You pay that insurance when you are working in the form of your tax withholding's for the times when you unexpectedly lose your job and are looking for something new. As long as you are actively looking for a new job, I have no problems with some one collecting their unemployment insurance to get by.

No, it's the people who sit at home, collect welfare and food stamps, live in public housing on MY dime, those are the people I can't understand. I don't work hard and earn my money to pay your way in life. I work hard to get the things I need to live, and a few luxuries here and there when I can afford them.

I consider these people to be the parasites of the human race, and I have a couple of solutions for it.

First, if you draw a welfare check, you are now considered an employee of the state. If they have you doing menial tasks like cleaning debris off the side of the highway, cleaning the bathrooms in public parks, or cleaning the graffiti left by gang bangers and daft kids who don't have sufficient parental supervision. (I mean why let the bad guys out of there 8 x 10 cells do this, when we have a whole class of able bodied people able to do it who are also living on our dime?) Oh, since since you are also an employee of the state now, that means you have to show up on time, pass random drug tests, etc. How quickly do you think these people will go out looking for real jobs, and start pumping up our economy again?

My second, and more harsh option is to end the welfare system entirely. That's right, the housing people live in, they have to pay for it, that food they want to eat, they have to earn it. But we can't have that no, can we.

I work to put a roof over my head, to be able to eat day in and day out. I pay my bills, and I enjoy my hobbies. But then, I'm the bad guy because I do things the way my parents and grand parents did...and I'm not all touchy feely.

No comments:

Post a Comment